The Nissan Be-1 is a retro-style automobile manufactured by Nissan Motors. The Be-1 was the first of four such retro spinoffs of the K10 Micra; the S-Cargo, Figaro and Pao being the other three. Like the Figaro, the Be-1 was sold without the Nissan name. It was designed to be a fashionable city car requiring just 4.4 meters (14.4 ft) to turn around and delivering up to 48 mpg (4.9 L/100 km) in the city and 74 mpg (3.2 L/100 km) at a steady 60 km/h (37 mph).
The name is a coined phrase meaning "to be one", or "being one".
The engine was the 1.0L (987 cc) MA10S, and a 3-speed automatic transmission or 5-speed manual transmission was also supplied. This engine produced 52 PS (51 hp/38 kW) at 6000 rpm and 76 N·m (56 ft·lbf) at 3600 rpm.
The chassis included rack and pinion steering, independent suspension with struts in front, as well as 4-links and coil springs in back. Disc brakes were used in the front, and Drum Brakes were used in the rear.
Type: NISSAN E-BK-10
Specific model codes:
- BK10RHF (5MT)
- BK10RHFW (5MT w/canvas top)
- BK10RHA (3AT)
- BK10RHAW (3AT w/canvas top)
- Length: 3,635 mm (143.1 in)
- Width: 1,580 mm (62.2 in)
- Height: 1395 mm (w/canvas top 1420 mm)
- Wheelbase: 2,300 mm (90.6 in)
- Ground clearance: 165 mm (6.5 in)
- Front tread: 1,365 mm (53.7 in)
- Rear tread: 1,350 mm (53.1 in)
- Weight: MT 670 kg, (w/canvas top 680 kg), AT 700 (w/canvas top 710 kg)
- Gross weight: MT 945 kg (w/canvas top 955 kg), AT 975 kg (w/canvas top 985 kg)
- Capacity: 5 people
- Minimum turning radius: 4.4 m (14 ft)
- Fuel consumption (according to Japanese rule 10.15): (5MT) 20.5 km/L (48.2 mpg); (3AT) 16.5 km/L (38.8 mpg); (3AT w/canvas top) 15.0 km/L (35.3 mpg)
- Fuel consumption at a steady 60 km/h (37 mph): (5MT) 31.4 km/L (73.9 mpg); (3AT) 25.4 km/L (59.7 mpg)
- Engine type: MA10S
- Water-cooled OHC inline-4-cylinder
- Bore x Stroke: 68.0 mm x 68.0 mm (2.68 x 2.68 in)
- Volume displacement: 987 cc (60.2 cui)
- Compression ratio: 9.5
- Highest outputs: 52 PS (38 kW) at 6000 rpm
- Max. torque: 7.6 kgf·m (75 N·m/101 ft·lbf) at 3600 rpm
- Electronically controlled carburetor (ECC)
- Fuel tank capacity: unleaded regular, 40 L (10.6 US gal)
- Rack and pinion steering
- Rear suspension: independent, 4 link coil type
- Front suspension: struts
- Disc brakes front and rear
- Tire size: 165/70R12 front and rear
- Note: The electric canvas top became available in March 1987.
- Body color: Pumpkin Yellow, Tomato Red, Hydrangea Blue, Onion White (all with black interior; steel wheels were painted in body color)